Many of you set New Year resolutions to get healthier. Aside from losing weight, focusing on fitness helps you to get better sleep and even boosts your immune system. Regular exercise ends up being a key factor in order to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
It’s important to keep in mind that weight loss looks different for each person, and depends on several other factors including diet, lifestyle habits, and factoring in health conditions. Nonetheless, there are certain workouts that are more beneficial than others. As a tip, exercising once a week for 30 minutes at a low intensity isn’t going to give you results. Instead, push yourself 3-4 times a week to see results.
At Creekside at Bethpage, which is an active-adult community for those 55+, Hemingway Hall is a recreation center that features 13,000-square feet of lifestyle offerings in order to be the best version of you. Here are 10 of the best workouts for weight loss:
- Interval Training – Holly Rilinger, a Nike master trainer says that interval training is “Any form of exercise where your heart rate spikes and then comes down repeatedly.” As long as your heart rate is elevated, your metabolism will have to work harder. A cycling class that uses a variety of muscles is a perfect example. At Creekside at Bethpage, you’ll find plenty of class offerings.
- Weight Training – Lifting weights increases your metabolic rate, which causes you to continue to burn calories throughout the entire day. It’s recommended that you try to incorporate a weight lifting routine three times a week. Pressed for time? Here’s a quick 10-minute dumbbell
- Bootcamp – Bootcamp-type of classes incorporate both interval training and resistance for short periods of time in quick bursts. Make sure you focus on correct form when performing the various exercises in these classes.
- Boxing – Boxing works your arms, core, and legs for an overall full body workout. It also often targets muscles you would normally forget to work out on your own. Hemingway Hall offers these types of classes, even if you are a beginner.
- Running – Do you have sneakers? If so, you’re ready to run. Try using a treadmill to increase the incline in order to work your glutes and legs. You can find plenty of treadmills inside the fitness center at Creekside at Bethpage, or take a jog through the neighborhood.
- CrossFit – The wildly popular workout program isn’t for everyone, but some really enjoy it. The routines are short and intense for a full-body burn.
- HIIT – High-intensity interval training is usually 20 seconds of a specific exercise at an all-out attempt, followed by 10 seconds of rest. This is repeated for 20 minutes usually, burning a lot of calories in a short period of time. Here are three easy HIIT workouts for beginners.
- Yoga – While it might not be a major calorie burner, yoga does help keep you flexible and injury free by stretching you out for your other, more intense workouts. At Hemingway Hall, you’ll find an entire yoga studio at your disposal.
- Swimming – Did you know that you can burn 750 calories in an hour of swimming? You can swim laps at Creekside at Bethpage’s pool and then relax once you’ve gotten your workout in for the day.
- Jumping Rope – Make sure you have on sneakers and get to jumping. This is an easy way to burn body fat without requiring hardly any equipment. Warm up for 3 minutes with a light skip, then do 100 traditional jumps. After that, do 100 rope sprints at an even quicker pace for a good workout.
No matter what you do, try to get in some form of physical activity per day. This will keep your joints and bones in better form as you age. Hemingway Hall offers plenty of outlets to get a workout in. Who knows? It might become a hobby of yours. From the fitness center to the athletic courts, Creekside at Bethpage caters towards your active lifestyle.