Buying new construction is an entirely different ballgame than simply purchasing a previously owned home. You’re buying from the person or company who built it, instead of someone who previously called it home. If you’re thinking about new construction, there are some great options – especially in the Triangle area. Here are some of the most important things to consider, along with new communities as options for your new home.
- Find a good real estate agent to work with. Someone who has experience in new construction and also isn’t affiliated with any particular builder is key. You’ll want to find someone who knows the area and is familiar with new construction. They can help you structure your offer, as well as give advice on helping you make choices that could affect your home’s resale value. Looking for a realtor in the area? Mike Carswell has 20+ years of industry experience and will help you find a house you love.
- Learn to negotiate. New construction builders often won’t lower their prices, but they will make up for it in other ways such as paying closing costs or giving certain upgrades for no additional charge.
- Make sure everything is in writing. Make sure not to sign on the dotted line until you’re sure that everything about your new home has been negotiated. For example, if you purchase a home that’s not yet complete, make sure to know what happens next if deadlines aren’t met, etc. Only written contracts are binding.
- Research the builder. Do yourself a favor and research the builder who you’re thinking about buying from. In the Triangle, we have many amazing builders, many of those who are featured in our magazine! Read reviews, testimonials, and visit other developments built by that company.
- Consider the neighborhood. Do you want a pool and a clubhouse? Is privacy important to you? How about walk-ability? Make sure to consider the community element before you purchase a new home. Weddington is a new Apex community coming soon that will feature greenway trail access, a pool, and a cabana. If you’re searching for something that has large home sites and flexible floor plans, maybe Stonewood Manor is the one for you.
- Know what features you want. Some people desire a first-floor owner’s suite. Others want a bonus room. There are many Triangle builders who offer a variety of plans that are designed to fit your family’s lifestyle.
In the end, a new construction home is definitely worth it, as long as you are prepared and know what you’re signing up for. To view new home communities today, check out our directory.